These insanely fudgy mint brownies have a dose of peppermint and are loaded with white and dark chocolate chips!
I have this weird thing where I need to make sure we have at least 1 homemade baked good in the house at all times. It might be muffins, quick bread, or cookies. More often than not, it’s some type of bar, like a brownie.
Recently, I noticed that we were getting low on my baked good level in the kitchen. I baked up these brownies pretty quickly and allowed them to cool completely in the refrigerator so the flavors would set and that the consistency would be super fudgy.
The original recipe called for a longer baking time, but I know that with my oven, brownies tend to be done baking around the 20 minute mark. Because all ovens are different, I would recommend checking your brownies after 20 minutes and baking for more time only if needed. You want these to have a fudge-like texture, so make sure these are slightly underbaked. They will firm up while cooling and chilling in the refrigerator. The longer you bake these, the harder (and drier) the texture will be. Dry brownies = no bueno.
My family and I enjoyed these brownies, and my daughter especially enjoyed heating hers up in the microwave. I believe my husband put a big old scoop of ice cream on top of his piece!
Husband’s rating: 4.5 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4.5 out of 5
My rating: 4.5 out of 5
Fudgy mint brownies
- ½ cup (1 stick or 8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped finely (I used Trader Joe's Pound Plus bar)
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips or chunks
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat your oven to 350℉. Generously grease or line a standard 9"x9" baking pan and set aside. One trick that usually works well is creating a parchment paper "sling" - get two long pieces of parchment paper. Place one in the pan, with a several inch overhang on both sides. Lay the other sheet down, perpendicular to the other one so they form an "x" or a cross.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave in 10-15 second intervals. I heated mine for 40 seconds and then another 10 afterwards.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and vigorously mix so the sugar starts to melt.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Fold in the flour, and salt. Mix until a few dry streaks remain.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and peppermint extract and mix until no dry streaks remain.
- Place in your preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes. The sides will appear to be done, but the center may be jiggly. This is OK. It's best to underbake these rather than over bake.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely. Then place them in the refrigerator to firm up before slicing and serving.