Addie is very into Dora the Explorer these days. She even requests to watch the Dora television show on a daily basis. Addie received a workbook, Dora’s Healthy Habits, as a present earlier this year from a family member. The book talks about how kids should exercise, eat right and stay clean. One of the pages inside the publication also included a recipe for banana pops. This definitely caught the attention of my 3-year old and she kept asking to make these pops.
Since Dora’s recipe called for the bananas to be dipped into peanut butter (which I don’t eat), I decided to dip them in chocolate instead. I found an easy frozen banana pops recipe that she and I could try one morning and enjoy later on in the day.
We covered our pops in rainbow sprinkles but also tried regular sized M&M candies too. The M&M candies were actually too heavy and kept sliding off the chocolate. If you decide to go the M&M route, try the mini M&Ms instead.
Addie had a blast making these frozen banana pops with me, and she had an even more fun time eating them. This is definitely a fun (and somewhat healthy) treat to make with kids and is absolutely toddler-approved.
Frozen banana pops
- 4 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flavorless oil corn, vegetable, canola, safflower, a light olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 large ripe bananas
- Line a standard baking or cookie sheet with waxed paper, parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Cut the bananas into thirds. Insert a popsicle stick into the banana (length wise). Put the banana on the baking sheet and transfer to the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- While the bananas are freezing, transfer the chopped chocolate to a small saucepan. Heat the chocolate and the oil over low to medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Do not allow the chocolate mixture to simmer or boil. Alternatively, you can heat the chocolate and oil in the microwave in 15-second increments. Transfer the chocolate to a small bowl with high sides (for easier dipping).
- Once the chocolate mixture is ready, remove the bananas one by one and dip into the melted chocolate mixture. If desired, you can roll the chocolate-coated banana in sprinkles, miniature M&Ms (the large ones will fall off - we tried), chopped nuts, coconut or anything else you like. Place the dipped bananas back into the freezer for another 30 minutes.