These super dark and fudge-like salted caramel brownies contain no eggs, butter or oil! I added a layer of salted caramel sauce for some added decadence. You can omit the caramel sauce to make these vegan!
I had a total first-world problem one day (major sarcasm for those who can’t tell my tone of voice). I only had one egg left in the refrigerator but had an itch to bake some brownies. Not just any brownies. Salted caramel brownies. I had a batch of salted caramel sauce sitting on the counter that were just screaming to be used.
I found a vegan brownie recipe that seemed promising, so I made a few tweaks here and there to suit my tastes. If you need a vegan brownie recipe, you can omit the salted caramel sauce and bake for about 25-30 minutes.Your brownies will be a bit on the gooey side, so if you like them firmer, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
These brownies were gobbled up in no time. Even after placing them in the refrigerator overnight, they were still nice and gooey the next day. Make sure you hide a few of these since they are so amazing. You’ll be surprised that these don’t contain any eggs too!
Eggless salted caramel brownies
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce store bought or homemade
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 8"x8" baking pan and set aside (I used a silicone pan and did not grease or line it).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add in the water, applesauce and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Transfer half of the batter into your prepared baking pan. Then add the salted caramel sauce. Top with the remaining brownie batter. Swirl with a knife if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the brownies no longer jiggle when you shake the pan. Allow the brownies to cool before serving.