This is a super soft and super chocolate-y zucchini bread that you HAVE to make! With pantry ingredients, it’s a cinch to put together and fun to eat – just try not to get any chocolate on you!
I can’t believe my baby girl is in 3rd grade this year. It feels like just yesterday when we took her home from the hospital. And now she is 8 years old!
For the first day of school, I baked her a double chocolate zucchini bread. I mean, you gotta start your first day of school with some chocolate, right? Well, at least that’s how we roll at my house. I did add some shredded zucchini so it was a little bit healthier, but who’s counting?
My daughter was so excited to NOT get any chocolate on her when she ate this in the morning. She even came to me to show off how clean her outfit was before she went off to brush her teeth. Both she and I adored this bread, and I think the next time I will bake this with whole wheat flour.
Double chocolate zucchini bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick or 4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large zucchini shredded
- 1 cup chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the eggs, melted butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Transfer the applesauce mixture to the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold everything together until a few dry streaks remain. Add in the zucchini and mix until everything just comes together. Fold in the chocolate chips with as few strokes as possible.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle on additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Allow the bread to cool before serving.