Jazz up plain banana bread with 2 doses of chocolate! With no butter or oil and a minimal amount of processed sugar, this double chocolate whole wheat Greek yogurt banana bread is sure to become your next favorite thing to bake.
This bread was a mistake. Why? Because now all Addie wants for breakfast is this bread. We ate this loaf so quickly that she asked me to make another one. When I told her we were out of bananas, she was devastated. Then she got mad when I said that we should make something other than chocolate bread for breakfast. Thank goodness we didn’t go into full-on tantrum mode at that moment because I’m not sure how I would have handled it?
Addie had every reason to want more of this bread. It was soft, delicate and full of chocolate and banana goodness. And because it didn’t contain much processed sugar, it felt healthier than a lot of quick breads that I’ve made before. I even used whole wheat flour for my bread. Don’t get me wrong – this isn’t health food, but it is definitely healthier than a lot of banana breads out there.
A tip from me: You might want to make at least 2 loaves of this bread since it will be eaten very quickly.
Double chocolate whole wheat Greek yogurt banana bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard loaf pan (9"x5") and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs. Then add the bananas, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla. The mixture may be slightly lumpy from the bananas - this is fine. Do not overbeat it.
- Pour the banana mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Using as few strokes as possible, fold everything together with a spatula or wooden spoon until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips until just combined - do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pan and bake in your preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool slightly before cutting and serving.