A fantastic, super chocolate-y bread made without butter or oil! Throw in your favorite add-ins like chocolate chips or nuts and turn this into your next breakfast!
See the photos of this bread? Well, I am embarrassed to say that the first batch was an utter failure. The pictures you see in this post are of the second batch.
I attempted baking this bread once, only to realize once the bread was done that I had forgotten to add sugar. Yup. Cardinal sin #1 in the baking world: Always read the instructions. Twice. And what kind of dessert baker forgets to ADD SUGAR? Um, that would be me.
Hesitantly, I sliced a piece of the bread to see how bad it was. Thankfully, because of the generous amount of chocolate chips I had included, it wasn’t disgusting. I wasn’t that big of a fan of the bread, but my daughter and husband thought otherwise. They actually liked it without the sugar! One of them slathered on some Nutella while the other just ate it as-is. I was astonished.
And then before I knew it, the bread was gone.
Well, being the perfectionist I am, I couldn’t make this bread once and have it be a failure (at least in my eyes). I had to make it again. So here I am. This time I made sure I included the sugar.
My husband said that he couldn’t notice the difference between the first (sugar-free) loaf and this one. could definitely tell. But, if you wanted to cut back on the sugar, feel free to scale the sugar below to half a cup. This was one of the best breads I’ve made this year, and I’m just happy that I was able to redeem myself the second time around.
Double chocolate quick bread
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 5.3 ounce container plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and Greek yogurt. Transfer this to the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix the batter.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and smooth out the top. Add more chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.