Double chocolate Greek yogurt muffins make an amazing breakfast. These contain no butter or oil!
I despise getting sick. Thankfully, it doesn’t happen to me very often. As luck would have it, I was healthy for maybe 2 days in the month of January. I started off New Year’s Day with a sore throat. Turns out that it was strep throat. Two days after I finished my penicillin, it struck again. Halfway through my second bout of strep, Addie came down with the same thing (I actually think she was the carrier and passed it to me both times, but she had no symptoms).
When I’m sick, I just want comfort food. One of those things just happens to be chocolate. Since Addie wasn’t able to go to school, and I was at home with her, I thought it would be satisfying to bake some chocolate chip muffins for us. I opted for a recipe that was somewhat on the healthier side and eventually made these with Greek yogurt and applesauce. I could have used whole wheat flour but didn’t.
These muffins were extremely dense and chocolate-y and reminded me of a pound cake in muffin form. I only had half and it was very filling. If you want, you can sprinkle on additional chocolate chips on top for a prettier presentation. I was just lazy and skipped that this time. These muffins would be perfect for your special someone on Valentine’s Day, or any other day “just because.”
Here’s to hoping that my family (and yours) are healthy for the remainder of the year…
Double chocolate Greek yogurt muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I used Hershey's Dark
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 6-ounce container of Greek yogurt I used Chobani 0% plain
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Generously grease a standard muffin tin (I used a silicone muffin tin and did not grease it) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the egg, Greek yogurt, milk, applesauce and vanilla. Slowly transfer this mixture into the large bowl with the wet ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick.
- Evenly portion out the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake in your preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.