A savory and hearty crustless quiche featuring spinach, mushrooms and onions – This will be your new brunch favorite!
I didn’t eat a lot of ethnic foods growing up. And by ethnic, I mean anything other than Chinese food. Yes, we had the occasional delivery pizza, but I didn’t know how to pronounce lasagna (it was “la-ZAG-na” to me), and I certainly didn’t know what a creme brulee was.
The first time I tried quiche was in college. A flutist friend of mine graduated and married one of our fellow wind ensemble players. I was invited to the bridal shower, and the hostesses served quiche. It sounded dainty – what was it? There were several different types of quiche, and I tried a little bit of each one. I instantly loved all the quiches but hadn’t really thought of them since.
Thankfully, this month’s What’s Baking challenge was quiche, so this eggy brunch dish came back into my mind. I chose to do a crustless quiche (I wanted to save my calories for dessert!) and incorporate my favorite veggies – spinach and mushrooms.
My family went crazy for this quiche. I normally make frittatas on weekends, but those got bumped down to second place after trying this recipe. Both my husband and Addie had two servings of the quiche and said that it tasted amazing. The Muenster cheese also made the filling super rich and creamy, so I’m sure that played a role too. You can customize the filling to your liking so if you don’t like and of the add-ins below, simply swap it out for something else.
Make sure you check out Liz’s blog to see the roundup and be sure to check out my friends’ quiche creations:
Spring Veggie Quiche – The Redhead Baker
Crustless Spinach & Mushroom Quiche – Eva Bakes
Crustless Kielbasa, Red Pepper, and Asparagus Quiche – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
Crustless Zesty Italian (Vension) Sausage, Spinach, and Red Bell Pepper Quiche – Sweet Beginnings
Crustless Caprese Quiche – Cookaholic Wife
Mini Zucchini Quiche – Books and Cooks
Ham and Cheese Quiche – Kate’s Recipe Box
Pepperoni Pizza Quiche – Cookies on Friday
Crustless spinach and mushroom quiche
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 8 ounce package mushrooms
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 5 eggs
- 5 ounces Muenster cheese shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 9" pie pan and set aside.
- In a saute pan set over medium heat, drizzle the olive oil. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook until softened. Then add the thawed chopped spinach and keep cooking until any liquid has evaporated. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the stove and allow to cool slightly.
- As the spinach mixture is cooling, mix together the eggs, Muenster cheese and salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Add the spinach mixture and mix until all the ingredients are combined. Transfer to the prepared pie pan.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the quiche has set. Allow it to cool 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.