Who said that you can’t have chocolate for breakfast? Now you can, with these cranberry white chocolate chip muffins!
There was one week in the month of March where I was gone almost a full week. I left for Adult Sectionals on a Thursday night, came home on Sunday, and then flew to Orlando on Tuesday for a work event. I didn’t return home until Friday night.
Thankfully, my husband is good with our daughter, and we don’t need to call in any reinforcements (grandparents). He even menu plans and cooks for our daughter when I’m gone. When I finally returned home, I had no good breakfast options. When I told my husband that I needed to make some muffins, he gave me a great idea – cranberry white chocolate chip.
I made these cranberry white chocolate chip muffins a bit healthier by using white whole wheat flour. And as always, I swapped out any oil or butter for unsweetened applesauce. This recipe made 15 standard muffins, and they are freezer-friendly in case you don’t need that many muffins at once.
We enjoyed these muffins a lot. We ate about half of them one week and froze the other half for when we returned from spring break (more on that later). And these muffins are a great excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast!
Cranberry white chocolate chip muffins
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease or line 2 standard muffin pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar until well blended. Add in the milk and applesauce until well incorporated.
- Transfer the egg mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the cranberries and white chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pans, filling each well about 3/4 full.
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.