A wonderfully delightful cranberry quick bread with a touch of bright orange flavors. This bread is perfect to snack on throughout the day!
Why do I feel like I’m always running out of options for breakfast? I’m not a cereal girl, and I usually eat yogurt with my lunch so I don’t like it first thing in the morning. Therefore, I usually turn to something like muffins (I don’t have time to make something fresh like eggs and I’m not a fan of toast). English muffins used to be my jam, but muffins and quick breads have been my go-to breakfasts as of late.
I made this bread on a whim when I was running out of breakfast ideas. I don’t usually like to make the same muffins so we don’t get sick of them so rather than bake an old favorite (hello, chocolate), I tried to bake something with some citrusy vibes.
Enter this bread.
This bread uses orange juice and sweetened dried cranberries, but you can absolutely substitute with raisins or other dried fruit to your liking. You could even throw in some orange zest if you’re feeling fancy, but I did not.
I used half all-purpose flour and half white whole wheat for this bread and replaced any butter or oil with applesauce. You’ll never know the difference.
My family and I loved this bread and were happy to get a break from our breakfast rut!
Cranberry orange bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce, orange juice, and egg. Transfer this to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Toss in the cranberries and mix until everything just comes together - do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared loaf pan and bake in your preheated oven for 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool before slicing and serving.