This wonderful ice cream sauce resembles caramel but tastes just like cookie dough!
I’ve recently been re-inspired by my Cookie Dough Lover’s cookbook. The photos are fun to browse through, and obviously the treats are fun to eat. I had about half a cup of heavy cream left in the refrigerator and wanted to use it up before one of my marathon work trips across the country.
As I flipped through the cookbook, I came across a cookie dough sauce that sounded really tempting. It only made 1 cup and used ingredients that I already had in my pantry. As an added bonus, it only required half a cup of heavy cream. Perfect!
It was really, really hard not to dive my face right into this sauce. I taste-tested a little sample of it as I was cleaning out the saucepan. And yes, it really does taste like liquid cookie dough. Something about the golden syrup gives it an extra cookie-like flavor.
Feel free to drizzle this on top of your ice cream, sundaes, brownies and other desserts. Or be like me and just enjoy it with a spoon!
Cookie dough sauce
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup (½stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons golden syrup can substitute with dark corn syrup if needed
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, mix together the brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, golden syrup and salt. Keep stirring until the mixture comes to a low boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to stir until the sauce thickens, about another 3-5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the vanilla. Allow to cool almost to room temperature before serving. You can store this in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator. You may want to microwave or heat it up before serving.