My daughter claims that these coffee cake streusel muffins taste like apple strudel. They are soft, chewy topped with a wonderful layer of streusel. Feel free to throw in some apples to really make them taste like apple strudel!
Well, I am back on my English muffin kick from several years ago. This time, my breakfast of choice is an English muffin from my local grocery store. The muffins are made in the New England area and only contain 4 to a package. I love that they are thick and chewy. They are much more filling than your standard grocery store brand of English muffins.
Sadly for me, the grocery store ran out of my beloved muffins. The only variety that remained on the display was a garlic and herb flavor. While I enjoy garlic and herbs, I don’t want it first in the morning. Especially if I have to go to work afterwards. Hello, garlic breath!
When we returned from the grocery store, I made it a mission to make something for that week’s breakfasts. Since English muffins were out of the picture, I went to my old standby: muffins. This time, I wanted something with a streusel topping. I settled on coffee cake streusel muffins because they sounded wonderful.
Like most of my muffin recipes, this one was simple to assemble. I made these healthier by swapping out the flour with white whole wheat. And I also substituted applesauce for the butter and oil. I did keep the butter in the streusel because you just can’t mess with that!
My entire family enjoyed these muffins. My daughter exclaimed that they tasted like apple strudel. She especially enjoyed the streusel topping (who wouldn’t?). And I suspect she’s right – we could have easily added in some chopped apples to the muffin base. Maybe we’ll try that next time!
Coffee cake streusel muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Generously grease a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, mix together the milk, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.
- Transfer the egg mixture into the large bowl. Fold until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well about 3/4 full.
- Mix all the ingredients of the streusel until everything just comes together (it will resemble a paste). Put a spoonful of streusel on top of each muffin.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool before serving.