Classic chocolate peanut butter scotcheroos are crispy, chewy and full of chocolate peanut butter goodness!
Earlier this month, I shared these peanut-free cookie butter scotcheroos. While I thought they were amazing, my husband wanted me to make the chocolate peanut butter scotcheroos. He’s a fan of cookie butter but an even bigger fan of peanut butter.
He traveled to Boston for a week in January for work and when he returned, he came home to a pan of these chocolate peanut butter scotcheroos. I had Addie taste test one before her dad returned from his trip, and she gave it a big thumbs up. She claims to like these more than the cookie butter version and said that these had more of a caramel undertone.
Since I don’t eat peanut butter, I’ll take her word for it.
When my husband finally had the time to relax and try one of these chocolate peanut butter scotcheroos, he agreed with Addie. He said that the peanut butter flavor had more depth than the cookie butter scotcheroos.
Both recipes were relatively easy to make so I’m happy to create these again for my family. Now that I have two types of recipes, I can always make two batches. One for them to share, and one for me!
Chocolate peanut butter scotcheroos
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 12-ounce package chocolate chips
- 1 12-ounce package butterscotch chips
- Generously grease or a line a standard 9" x 13" pan and set aside.
- Place the puffed rice cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, mix the corn syrup and sugar until it comes to a simmer.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the peanut butter and mix until smooth. You may want to place the saucepan on top of the stove again to melt the peanut butter if it won't incorporate smoothly.
- Quickly transfer this to your large bowl and mix with the puffed rice cereal. Work quickly, as everything will be sticky and start to harden.
- Transfer this to your prepared baking pan and smooth out the top.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a saucepan set over low heat or in the microwave. Mix well.
- Pour the melted chips over the puffed rice base and smooth the top.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until the bars have chilled and are set.
- Slice and serve.