Elevate your muffin game with these chocolate milk muffins. They contain 3 types of chocolate – chocolate milk, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips!
My family and I have been on a chocolate milk kick. We started buying some glass bottles of chocolate milk from a local creamery, and boy was it good. The problem was that it was whole milk, which we very rarely drink. Plus, my husband and I started become more dairy intolerant after we turned 30, so we try not to consume as much cow’s milk.
Recently, we bought some chocolate oat milk and lactose-free chocolate milk. While both were good, they were expensive. I rediscovered chocolate soy milk and bought a half gallon of that at my last grocery store run. My husband and I used to drink this fairly regularly before Addie was born but took a long hiatus.
I wanted to bake something with the chocolate soy milk and thought (naturally) of chocolate muffins. This particular recipe was perfect because the muffins baked up soft and fluffy, and they maintained their structure for a few days on the counter afterwards. I’ve found that many of the muffins I’ve made in the past start to get soggy after a day or two on the counter. This one did not.
Being the chocolate fan that I am, I sprinkled additional chocolate chips on top. You can leave these out or add on some coarse sugar for a crunchy top. Either way, I hope that you make these, as they will be a solid chocolate chip muffin recipe to make again and again.
Husband’s rating: 4.5 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4 out of 5
My rating: 4.5 out of 5
Chocolate milk muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside (I used a silicone muffin pan and did not line or grease it).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, add the 1 teaspoon of vinegar to the chocolate milk. Let it sit for about 3-5 minutes so it curdles.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together the chocolate milk/vinegar mixture, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together - do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well at least ¾ full. If desired, sprinkle additional chocolate chips or coarse sugar on top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.