These chocolate frosted brownies are perfect for a potluck or party. They are dense and fudgy and topped with the most amazing chocolate frosting!
A few weeks ago, I competed at my local rink’s annual skating competition. Being both a coach and a member of the host chapter, I had to volunteer. I volunteered to play music over the course of 2 days. In addition, I was asked to bring in food for the coaches’ hospitality.
Last year, I believe I brought in brownies. And since brownies are typically well-loved, I thought I could make a different recipe this year. This time, I made chocolate frosted brownies. Because who doesn’t love chocolate frosting? OK, maybe some people, but I am not friends with them. 🙂
I made a double batch to make sure that our home coaches and the visiting coaches would have plenty to go around. Sadly, the volunteers in charge of putting out my brownies didn’t see them in the storage area, so my second batch didn’t get eaten. No worries though, because I passed them out to skaters and skating parents afterwards.
These brownies were super fudgy and topped with the most decadent chocolate frosting. In fact, I’d be happy just eating a batch of the frosting on its own. I got a bunch of compliments on these brownies and recommend doubling the recipe if you’re going to feed a crowd. Watch out though – these will disappear very quickly!
Chocolate frosted brownies
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-5 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
Make the brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Place in the microwave and heat in 30 second increments until fully melted. Mix well. Add in the sugars and continue to mix well. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix. Fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips until everything just comes together.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream the butter, cocoa powder, and salt together on medium speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and milk and mix well. If the frosting seems too stiff, add more milk/cream. If it appears too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the frosting on top of the brownies and smooth the tops. Decorate with additional chocolate chips, with sprinkles or candies as desired. Brownies should be stored, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.