Are you tired of my chocolate cupcake posts yet? This is the 2nd one in a week, so apologies if you are not a chocolate or cupcake fan (if you aren’t, then I’m sorry – we can’t be friends. Just kidding.)
This past weekend was Addie’s joint birthday party with her classmate. She asked me to make another batch of chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles for her celebration, and I happily obliged. Since I didn’t want to repeat a chocolate cupcake recipe from before, I found this one online. The ingredients and instructions are very similar to the Hershey’s recipe that I adore so I knew this would be a winner. Plus, I got to bedazzle Addie’s cupcakes with these fabulously awesome glitter magenta pink cupcake wrappers from Bella Cupcake Couture. Are these super cute or what? I had a difficult time deciding which gorgeous cupcake wrappers to use for Addie – I want one of everything.
And how did the birthday girls and their friends like their cupcakes? Let’s just say that they and they parents devoured them. I brought almost 3 dozen to the party, and I hardly had any left to take home. The cupcakes were a huge hit.
And now onto the giveaway! My friends at Bella Cupcake Couture want to give one of you some cupcake wrappers to decorate your next batch of cupcakes. Do you want to get glittery ones like I have above, or are you more of a polka dot kind of person? All you need to do is enter via the Rafflecopter widget below. Please be patient, as it is sometimes slow to load. Good luck, and may your cupcakes always be beautiful!
Chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder I omitted since I was serving cupcakes to kids
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed (or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer), whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder (if using). Alternatively, you can whisk this by hand in case you don't want to get flour and cocoa powder all over the floor.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla and mix on medium high speed. Turn the mixer to high and beat for 1 minute. Turn the mixer off, add the boiling water, and mix by hand until the batter is no longer watery (or, you can very carefully stream the water into your bowl with the mixer on low speed - I found that the water splashed everywhere when I did this, so I mixed by hand first). Then turn the mixer on medium speed and beat until well combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin tin and fill them about 3/4 full.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Since I tripled the recipe, I had to bake closer to 24 minutes until my cupcakes were done. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.