Chocolate covered strawberries are always a classic treat, especially for Valentine’s Day. Make these for a special someone or eat them all for yourself!
Valentine’s Day really crept up on me this year. I was menu planning for the week and had forgotten that it was tomorrow. Oops. My husband and I counted and realized that this is our 16th Valentine’s Day together. We reminisced about our first holiday at a fondue restaurant. Each year since then, we’ve made the holiday more informal.
Although it’s always fun to eat out on Valentine’s Day, I don’t enjoy the crowds or the aggressive prices. As a result, I prefer eating at home. And while I enjoy going on dates with my husband, I like celebrating with the three of us. This holiday means celebrating my family’s love for each other.
When we walked through the grocery store to purchase our week’s groceries, we walked past several Valentine’s Day displays. We saw balloons, flowers, cakes and chocolate covered strawberries. Addie immediate exclaimed that we should make chocolate covered strawberries. I loved her idea so we bought ourselves a container of strawberries.
While Addie and my husband were working on a puzzle, I made these chocolate covered strawberries. It only took about 7 minutes. I washed the strawberries, dried them, melted the chocolate and dunked the strawberries. Since I had some extra melted chocolate, I decorated the tops with some chocolate drizzles. At Addie’s request, I melted some white chocolate for some white chocolate drizzles too.
We were able to enjoy some of these chocolate covered strawberries right after we completed the puzzle. I even got to help with the puzzle since this recipe took no time to prepare. My husband declared these better than the fancy ones at the mall, so that made me happy.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your loved ones!
Chocolate covered strawberries
- 1 quart strawberries washed and patted dry
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Place a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside,
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips with the coconut oil for 45 seconds on high. Stir and heat it more if the chocolate chips aren't fully melted.
- Hold a strawberry by the stem and dip it into the melted chocolate. Shake off the excess and place on your prepared sheet pan.
- If there is leftover chocolate, feel free to drizzle it on top of the strawberries. You may also want to melt some white chocolate with coconut oil for some fun white drizzles too.