Boy, do I love a deal. It makes me happy when I use a coupon or a gift card and end up paying a fraction of the retail price of something. One of my online cooking friends posted an Amazon deal that was too good to pass up. Two of Dorie Greenspan’s cookbooks, Baking: From My Home to Yours and Around My French Table were being sold as a bundle for $5. Total. I couldn’t believe it! The retail price for each book was $40, and I was getting both for $5?? Sounded almost like a scam, but it wasn’t. I placed my order immediately and the books arrived within the week.
I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent looking through these cookbooks. There is always a new recipe I want to try, and I am sad that I missed out on the Tuesdays with Dorie online cooking club. I know that there is a new group going on that is focusing on Around My French Table, but I’m more interested in the baking recipes. Obviously.
This is the first of many recipes that I hope to make from Dorie. I chose these chocolate chocolate chunk muffins because 1) I love chocolate, 2) I love chocolate, and 3) I had leftover buttermilk. As Dorie states in her book, these muffins are only slightly sweet and could be considered either muffins or cupcakes. I’d like to call them muffins so I can eat them for breakfast! These muffins got an enthusiastic thumbs up from my husband!
Chocolate chocolate chunk muffins
- 3/4 stick (6 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped (I used Lindt 70% dark chocolate)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted (I used Hershey's Dark)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups buttermilk I only had 3/4 cup so I used 2% milk for the remainder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter or spray a regular-sized muffin pan or insert with paper liners. I decided to use an ungreased silicone muffin pan. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet..
- Melt the butter and HALF of the chopped chocolate together in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Or, you can do this in the microwave (which I did - I zapped for 30 seconds). Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg and vanilla together until well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients and melted butter/chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients, and with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don't worry about being thorough - a few lumps are better than overmixing the batter. Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate. Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.