Who says you can’t have cake for breakfast? Get your cake on with these chocolate chip fudge muffins. They taste like a decadent fudgy chocolate chip cake!
Is there anything better than cake for breakfast? Maybe ice cream… but I digress. There are times where I wish that I could eat a big slice of cake in the mornings. Well, now you (and I) can! These chocolate chip fudge muffins taste JUST LIKE CAKE.
What I love about these chocolate chip fudge muffins is that they are vert fudge-like. And better yet, they contain no oil or butter! The secret ingredient in these is applesauce! I also used all brown sugar to give it a bit of a caramel-like flavor profile.
I baked these chocolate chip fudge muffins one lazy Sunday morning so we’d have some chocolate-y snacks. Both Addie and I ate these for breakfast the next morning, and I heard that she scarfed hers down in about 30 seconds. We both found them INSANELY fudge-like. And YAY that we essentially had cake for breakfast!
This recipe only makes about 9 muffins, so plan accordingly. In my house, that means that we need to make a double batch. Because 9 muffins will only last us about 2 days! Ha ha ha…
Hope you enjoy these chocolate chip fudge muffins as much as we did. I’m sure we’ll be making these again soon.
Chocolate chip fudge muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, milk, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and gently fold until a few dry streaks remain. Add the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well about 3/4 fulls. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow muffins to cool before serving.
This looks great for when you’re craving chocolate without a ton of sugar. The trick, as always, is not eating all of them. Hard, I’m sure, when their smell is filling the house.
It’s hard to not eat more than one in a single setting. I want alllll the muffins!!