Who says you can’t have cake for breakfast? Get your cake on with these chocolate chip fudge muffins. They taste like a decadent fudgy chocolate chip cake!
Is there anything better than cake for breakfast? Maybe ice cream… but I digress. There are times where I wish that I could eat a big slice of cake in the mornings. Well, now you (and I) can! These chocolate chip fudge muffins taste JUST LIKE CAKE.
What I love about these chocolate chip fudge muffins is that they are vert fudge-like. And better yet, they contain no oil or butter! The secret ingredient in these is applesauce! I also used all brown sugar to give it a bit of a caramel-like flavor profile.
I baked these chocolate chip fudge muffins one lazy Sunday morning so we’d have some chocolate-y snacks. Both Addie and I ate these for breakfast the next morning, and I heard that she scarfed hers down in about 30 seconds. We both found them INSANELY fudge-like. And YAY that we essentially had cake for breakfast!
This recipe only makes about 9 muffins, so plan accordingly. In my house, that means that we need to make a double batch. Because 9 muffins will only last us about 2 days! Ha ha ha…
Hope you enjoy these chocolate chip fudge muffins as much as we did. I’m sure we’ll be making these again soon.
Chocolate chip fudge muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, milk, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and gently fold until a few dry streaks remain. Add the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well about 3/4 fulls. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow muffins to cool before serving.