Chocolate brownies cookies are a mashup of brownies and cookies. These cookies taste like brownies!
When my husband saw this recipe in the latest issue of Bon Appetit magazine, he immediately bookmarked this. After all, it was a brownie but in the form of a cookie. Better yet, it didn’t require any leaveners and only contained 6 ingredients (7 if you add the cacao nibs, which we omitted).
I first baked these at my in-laws’ house over Christmas. We already had a plethora of sweets, but I thought that it would be fun to bake cookies with Addie and leave these out for Santa. She helped me whisk the batter and was very excited when Santa left a thank-you note for her about the yummy cookies.
We made these again once we got home, and I found that using a cookie scoop and a baking mat made huge differences. The texture was still chewy and chocolate-y like a brownie, but the shapes were more uniform with a cookie scoop, and it came off the pan easier with the baking mat.
If you aren’t sure if you are a cookie or a brownie person, have no fear. These chocolate brownie cookies are a perfect mix of both, and you can enjoy both brownies and cookies in one tasty treat.
Chocolate brownie cookies
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I used Hershey's Dark
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 3 Tablespoons cacao nibs I omitted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Add the egg whites and egg and whisk together thoroughly.
- Gently fold in the chopped chocolate and cacao nibs if using.
- Use a cookie scoop (or two spoons) to portion out the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets. Space them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 14-16 minutes, or until the cookies are puffy, cracked in the middle and set on the sides. They may look slightly underdone, and that is OK.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to firm up while cooling.