Celebrate mom with this intensely dark chocolate cake – a must for serious chocoholics! With over 1 full pound of chocolate, this chocoholic cake is sure to satisfy chocolate fans of all kinds!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms – whether you are a mother to a human or fur-baby, a mother-like figure or just an awesome woman in general. We’re all moms to someone, and this is a wonderful day to celebrate YOU!
Since this is supposed to be my special day (at the Eva Bakes house, that is), I decided to celebrate the one and only way I know how – with chocolate! Yes, friends, this chocoholic cake contains over a full pound of chocolate. Is there anything better than that? I think not.
What’s interesting about this cake is that there are no leavening agents – no baking soda, baking powder or anything else to give the cake a light and fluffy texture. Instead, it uses 5 plain and simple ingredients – butter, chocolate, eggs, sugar, and flour. Easy as that.
Each layer is held together with a thick and smooth chocolate ganache. And since I like things pretty, I decorated the top of my cake with some additional chocolate curls.
Happy Mother’s Day!
WARNING: Make sure you line your baking pans. I foolishly did not, and my cakes were near impossible to get out. By the end of the day, my kitchen looked like a chocolate sandstorm had hit it. I had chocolate cake crumbs everywhere. Don’t be like me – like your pans with parchment paper!
- 3 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 14 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 adn 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1 and 1/4 cup heavy cream
Bake the cakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and line three 9" or 10" cake pans and set aside.
- In the bowl of a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and chopped chocolate. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together on medium speed until it gets light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Then turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the flour until it well incorporated. Finally, add the melted chocolate/butter mixture and beat until the consistency looks like frosting or chocolate mousse.
- Evenly distribute the batter among the 3 pans and bake in your preheated oven for 16-19 minutes (you may want to rotate pans/racks halfway through baking) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly wet or with a few crumbs.
- Allow the cakes to cool for about 20 minutes in the pan before turning them out and cooling on a cooling rack. Cakes can be wrapped, chilled overnight or frozen for up to 2 months. Make sure the cakes are cool before adding the ganache.
Make the ganache
- Place the chopped chocolate into a large heatproof bowl. Microwave the heavy cram in the microwave for about 90 seconds or until boiling. Pour half of the cream into the bowl with the chocolate and stir vigorously with a heatproof spatula. Keep stirring until no white streaks remain. Then pour in the rest of the cream and continue to stir. The ganache should be smooth, lump-free and thick. Allow the ganache to come to room temperature before using. You may want to stir occasionally so it doesn't harden too much.
Assemble the cake
- Place one cake layer, regular side up on a cake plate or regular plate. Spread about 1/4 of the ganache on top of the cake with a spatula. Top with another cake layer, regular side up, and repeat. Then place the final layer flat side up on top of the last layer. Cover the tops and sides with the remaining ganache. Decorate or garnish the tops if desired.