This classic Chex mix is something my husband makes every single holiday season. We usually have to make a double batch because it gets eaten so quickly!
As I am typing this post, I’ve realized that it’s mid-October already. That means the holidays are upon us, and I still need to research some gifts for friends and family. Where has this year gone?
I’m excited that my dad will be back from Taiwan (he’s been there for over a year), and this will be his first Thanksgiving in the US in several years. If memory serves me right, he was in Taiwan the past few years and missed our traditional smoked turkey.
One thing that we look forward to each year is my husband’s Chex mix. It’s nothing fancy; in fact, it’s the recipe that’s printed right on the side of the cereal box, but it gets devoured in record time every Thanksgiving or Christmas. We eat the mix by the bowlful, and before we know it, it’s gone.
My husband and I usually have to fight for the oven (oh, how I wish I had a double oven!) when we make this. That’s because I’m usually baking cheesecakes at the same time. It’s still fun having so many people crowding around the kitchen and experiencing the organized chaos during this time of year. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
I hope this recipe brings you joy!
Husband’s rating: 3.5 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4 out of 5
My rating: 4 out of 5
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts we omitted them this time
- 1 cup pretzels of choice
- 1 cup garlic flavor bagel chips
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 and ½ teaspoons seasoned salt we use Lawry's
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat your oven to 250℉.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Add the seasonings and stir well.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cereals, pretzels and bagel chips. Pour the melted butter mixture over the cereal mix and mix well.
- Transfer the cereal to a large baking sheet or baking pan and bake in your preheated oven for 15 minutes. Stir and bake an additional 15 minutes. Repeat 2 more times so that the Chex mix has baked for a full hour.
- Allow the Chex mix to cool before serving.