Got brownies on the brain? These cake-like brownies contain a fun toffee layer for a more sophisticated flavor. Enjoy these caramel toffee brownies with a cup of milk or coffee!
Brownies seem to be a staple at our house. If it’s not muffins, then it’s brownies. I mean, who can resist a square full of rich, chocolate-y goodness, right?
One lazy Sunday morning, I got a craving for brownies but didn’t want to repeat a recipe. I happened to have half a bag of toffee bits left in the pantry and decided find a recipe that featured these fun baking chips. Enter these caramel toffee brownies.
This recipe makes a large 9″x13″ pan so it’s perfect for sharing (or not!). There are 3 layers to these brownies… a caramel/toffee middle layer that’s sandwiched in between two identical brownie layers. I do want to note that these brownies are more on the cake-y side and not the typical fudge brownies that I am addicted to. Regardless, they are still awesome despite not being ooey gooey.
My family and I loved these cake-like brownies and were happy when I kept half the pan for ourselves. Although fudgy brownies are my jam, these cake-like ones were great too!
Caramel toffee brownies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 Tablespoons milk of choice
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cubed
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 9"x13" pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the caramel topping and milk. Pour this into the bowl and mix until well blended. Turn the mixer off and fold in the toffee bits. Set the batter aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate and stir until uniform. Add the eggs, one at a time, until each is well blended. Add in the sugar and vanilla and mix well. Slowly fold in the flour and mix until no dry streaks remain.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into your prepared pan and smooth out the top. Dollop all of the caramel batter on top and smooth the top (I used an offset spatula). Add the remaining brownie batter and spread it evenly (or if you prefer, you can swirl the batter in using a knife).
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool before cutting and serving.