A super thick and creamy butterscotch pudding that will make your guests and family swoon – you’ll be sure to lick the bowl clean!
“Mom! When can you make me some butterscotch pudding? I LOVE butterscotch pudding!” That’s all I’ve been hearing for the past few weeks here at the Eva Bakes house. Addie hasn’t been helping out as much in the kitchen because she’s been too busy playing with her Shopkins and reading books.
Despite my lack of help in the kitchen, I set out to make some butterscotch pudding for my little girl. I tackled this one morning during the winter break and just kept stirring the saucepan as I caught up on my blog reading.
This particular recipe requires a bit of patience, as it will take at least 10-15 minutes (or more) for the pudding to firm up. Don’t worry though – just keep stirring and it will eventually come together. In the end, you’ll be rewarded with a creamy and thick butterscotch pudding.
You’ll want to make sure that you allow these to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, so plan accordingly. You could, of course, serve it hot if you’re a hot pudding type of person. Me? I’m an any temperature pudding person so I taste tested a spoonful straight out of the saucepan. For quality control purposes, of course.
Enjoy this sweet and divine butterscotch pudding. You’ll be tempted to lick the bowl clean.
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large nonstick saucepan, mix together the brown sugar, corn starch and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks. Transfer this to the large saucepan and mix well.
- Heat the saucepan over medium heat and gently stir until the mixture thickens to pudding consistency (this will take at least 10-15 minutes). Keep stirring so the pudding doesn't burn. Once the mixture starts to bubble and is nice and thick, take it off the stove and quickly whisk in the butter.
- Transfer the pudding to 6-8 ramekins or bowls and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Garnish with whipped cream, butterscotch chips or chocolate chips if desired.