This one bowl butterscotch blondie dessert is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your summer potlucks. Bet your guests can’t eat just one!
Our neighbors invited us over one weekend for an impromptu cookout. They had some out-of-town guests staying over and wanted to have us join them for some wings and beer. I couldn’t arrive empty-handed so I made a chocolate cake. Then I decided to make these butterscotch blondies in case there were people who didn’t like chocolate (I’m sure they exist somewhere).
This was a super easy recipe that I whipped out in minutes. I made everything in my stand mixer and did not need to use a separate bowl to mix together the dry ingredients. After my blondies finished baking, I added some extra butterscotch chips on top for a nicer presentation.
Our neighbors and their friends loved these blondies. In fact, most of the adults had 2 or 3 servings. Thankfully there were a few left over for the kids to enjoy, but there were only a handful left over after the evening was over.
The blondies were nice and crispy on the top like a crackly brownie, and the insides were soft and chewy. The butterscotch chips were sweet and a perfect complement to the brown sugar. You can always customize these blondies to your taste – adding chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, M&Ms, chocolate candy bites or whatever your heart desires. Just make sure you save at least one piece for yourself before your family and friends gobble these up.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 8"x8" baking pan and set aside (I used a silicone pan and did not line or grease it).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer down to low and add the egg and vanilla until well combined. Then add the baking powder and flour until just combined. Turn the mixer off and fold in the butterscotch chips by hand.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and bake in your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the bars to cool completely before slicing and serving.