A twist on a breakfast classic – these healthier blueberry muffins contain no butter or vegetable oil! They are protein packed with Greek yogurt and are made with whole wheat flour and coconut oil. You’ll want to snack on these throughout the day!
Oh come on. You knew that I had more blueberry muffins up my sleeve oven mitt. Who am I kidding?
We received a large pint of blueberries in our CSA delivery recently. While I love snacking on blueberries, I also like to bake with them. Nothing was really calling out to me so my husband suggested making some blueberry muffins. It’s a trusty old standby in our house – someone is guaranteed to eat them. But, rather than use a recipe I’ve tried before, it was time to bake something new.
I wanted to find a recipe that used Greek yogurt and seemed a bit healthier than your standard blueberry muffin. I finally found one on Chelsea’s Messy Apron that seemed to fit the bill. As with almost all muffin recipes, this one came together very quickly on a busy weeknight and baked up in about 25 minutes. They finished baking by the time I had to help Addie get ready for bed.
While the overall flavor of these muffins were good, the texture was just a bit different than what I expected. Notice that I said different, not bad. The muffin was a bit grainier due to the whole wheat flour, and it crumbled more than I would have liked. The muffins held more moisture and got soggier more quickly, so I recommend storing these in the refrigerator after the first day. And you know what? They tasted better after a day in the refrigerator, actually.
My family liked these muffins and gobbled them up pretty quickly. In fact, I made a double batch, and we ate half of them in 3 days.
Blueberry coconut oil Greek yogurt muffins
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup blueberries fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously spray or grease a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and remove 1 Tablespoon of it. Then add the cornstarch and baking powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the egg, Greek yogurt, vanilla and coconut oil. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Transfer the egg mixture into the large bowl and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Add in the blueberries and fold until the flour is just incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan and bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool before serving.