If you’re a fan of any of the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavors with the brownies, you’re in luck! Because this is the fudge brownie recipe that they use!
This past summer, we made a few trips to the beach. My husband was swimming in some open-water races, so Addie and I went to cheer him on. While we were at the beach, we got to enjoy some ice cream.
We used to have a Ben & Jerry’s store in town, but it closed many years ago. So the only way we can get it is either at a grocery store or with a visit to the beach. I am happy to report that we were able to enjoy some Ben & Jerry’s while at the beach this summer. And I had almost forgotten how much I love their ice creams since I don’t purchase the pints very often.
One of my favorite add-ins are their brownies. They are thick, chewy and go perfectly with the ice cream. I was lucky enough to find the recipe in the Ben & Jerry’s cookbook and had to recreate it.
While I liked the brownies, they didn’t feel chocolate-y enough. I can see how they would go well as an add-in for ice cream. The brownies felt a bit thin, but I halved the recipe below so perhaps it would have been better if I had used the entire recipe. Regardless, they are definitely very fudge-like and fun to snack on!
Ben & Jerry's super fudge brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease or line a standard 13"x9" baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave or over a double boiler. Mix well and allow to cool to room temperature. You can speed this up by placing the bowl in the refrigerator, but don't allow it to solidify.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs and salt together on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly add in the sugar and vanilla. Then add the chocolate mixture.
- Turn your mixer to low and gently fold in the flour and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pan and bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center may come up with a bit of wet batter, and that's OK.
- Allow the brownies to cool before serving.