I made classic banana chocolate chip muffins slightly healthier by eliminating the butter and oil. You’d never know the difference though since they’re insanely moist!
We have Addie to thank for these muffins. One early morning, while we were having breakfast on a school day, I exclaimed to Addie that we didn’t have much to eat for breakfast. When I asked her what to make next, I shared that I had some bananas in the freezer. She immediately responded, “How about banana chocolate chip muffins?”
I was excited by the fact that she thought of this idea. And what I’ve learned is that engaging her is a good thing – it means that she’ll eat what I make. In fact, my husband and I solicit her input when we do our weekly menu planning. Addie enjoys providing her meal requests, and it gets her excited to shop for the ingredients at the grocery store.
Anyways – back to these muffins. I made them while I was on a conference call for work and had them in the oven pretty quickly. By the time the meeting was over, my muffins were almost done baking. I did make these slightly healthier than the original recipe by swapping out the butter and oil for unsweetened applesauce. I’ve found that this simple swap doesn’t compromise the texture or flavor of muffins and quick breads.
My little girl was excited about these muffins when she came home from school. I enjoyed having one as a mid-morning snack and imagine they’d be perfect for an after-workout treat as well.
For those of you who celebrate Christmas, I hope today is full of holiday joy!
Banana chocolate chip muffins
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 and ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Generously grease or line a stand muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, applesauce, bananas and egg.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Transfer this to the large bowl with the applesauce mixture and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Transfer to your preheated oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Allow the muffins to cool before serving.