These protein-packed, super moist and dense Greek yogurt banana chocolate chip muffins will rock your world! They contain no butter or oil and will stay fresh for days.
My baking muse (Addie) has spoken, and she demanded banana muffins. I wish I was joking, but I am telling the truth. When I asked Addie what breakfast item I should bake next, she said that we needed banana muffins. You might recall that I made mini banana chocolate chip muffins for her school’s sleepover a few weeks ago, but she never got to enjoy those at school.
Rather than use the same recipe, I opted to try a recipe containing Greek yogurt. After all, Greek yogurt seems to be my not-so-secret ingredient for providing lots of protein and moisture for baked goods. You can definitely make these a bit healthier by substituting whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour and cutting down on the sugar as well. I omitted the butter from the original recipe and used unsweetened applesauce in its place, and I couldn’t tell the difference.
Addie devoured these muffins and ate one every morning for a few straight days. Her favorite part of these muffins, naturally, are the chocolate chips. She picks them out of the muffins and saves them for last. Then in the end, her hands and mouth are a chocolate-y mess.
As for the adults? Both my husband and I really enjoyed these. I may try cutting down the sugar a bit or substituting with honey because the muffins are plenty sweet. Not too sweet, mind you, but I don’t think that decreasing the sugar will make too big of a difference in the long run. These are a solid banana chocolate chip muffin and most likely will go on the standard rotation.
Until Addie makes another flavor request, of course.
Banana chocolate chip Greek yogurt muffins
- 2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 medium bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 5.3 ounce container plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 and ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease two standard muffin pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce and sugars until well combined. Add the bananas, Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Transfer the banana mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Add in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined - do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pans, filling each one about 3/4 full. If desired, sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top for a more polished look.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool before serving.