This no-fuss banana bread recipe is a perfect way to use up all those frozen bananas in your refrigerator. With a dash of cinnamon, this banana bread is wonderful for breakfast or a snack throughout the day!
My family and I just returned from a trip and had nothing in the refrigerator to eat. We arrived home late one evening and did not have time to hit the grocery store. I had nothing good to eat for breakfast so I had to make do with some instant oatmeal. Addie had a granola bar. It was uninspiring and boring to say the least.
I remembered that we had frozen some overripe bananas before leaving for our trip, so it was definitely time to bake some banana bread. I wanted to try a recipe that I hadn’t attempted before.
I found this recipe in my recipe stash and made 2 minor changes. I subbed half of the flour for whole wheat and then added some cinnamon for an extra flavor punch.
Initially, I thought that this bread would be a bit too dry, but I was proven wrong. The bananas provide some moisture and natural sweetness to the bread, and the exterior had a nice crunch. The interior wasn’t dry at all, but instead remained intact and produced a few tender crumbs. This would be great as a slice of French toast too – just slather on some Nutella and wake me up later.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium overripe bananas mashed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, cream together the brown sugar and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mix until well incorporated. Turn off the mixer and fold in the mashed bananas by hand.
- Transfer the banana mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold everything together very gently and until no dry streaks remain. Do not over mix. The batter will be very thick.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake in your preheated oven for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool before serving.