These thick and fluffy chocolate chip muffins will remind you of those from your favorite bakery. You’ll want to eat the entire batch yourself!
It’s muffin time (again)!
This muffin is brought to you by my almost 5-year old, who is constantly asking for chocolate or chocolate chip muffins.
I’m always tempted to buy muffins from bakeries because I love how huge and fluffy they are. But part of me is cheap and doesn’t want to pay upwards of $3 for a muffin when I can make an entire batch for that price.
I opted to make these muffins slightly healthier by using applesauce as my liquid ingredient rather than oil. Nobody knew the difference, and that made me happy. These were one of the quickest muffin recipes to get eaten around the house, and Addie was extremely sad when I told her that we had eaten the last one.
Guess I’ll need to look for another chocolate muffin recipe to bake next since I’ve got myself a little chocoholic in training.
Bakery style chocolate chip muffins
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Generously grease a standard muffin pan and set aside (I used a silicone muffin pan and did not grease it).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, applesauce, milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Transfer the applesauce mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix it until a few flour streaks remain. Add in the chocolate chips and mix until everything just comes together - do not overmix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin pan, filling each well at least 3/4 full.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then turn the oven temperature down to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool before serving.