These beautifully domed bakery style chocolate chip muffins are gorgeous enough to sell. They bake up light and fluffy and are chock full of chocolate chips. I made these secretly healthier by swapping out the oil with applesauce. No one will ever know!
My 10 year old daughter is a fun but strange creature. Not too long ago, she begged and begged me to make blueberry scones. She ate one and decided that she didn’t like them so I was the lucky one who got to eat them. Not that I’m complaining, of course.
Since she has not be going to in-person camp much this summer, she has been home most of the time. For breakfast, she typically eats a granola bar but then complains that it isn’t enough food. When she attends camp, they give the kids a breakfast snack so she isn’t as hungry in the mornings. At home though, that’s another story. This little girl is almost always complaining that she’s starving. I decided to remedy that by making chocolate chip muffins.
I found a promising bakery-style muffin recipe and made it slightly healthier. As usual, I swapped out the butter and oil with unsweetened applesauce. And I doubled the chocolate chips. Sorry not sorry. The resulting muffins were super light and fluffy, chocolatey and baked up with a gorgeous domed top. They certainly were beautiful enough to be in a bakery. Neither my husband nor my daughter ever knew that I secretly made these muffins healthier. Score!
We happily ate these for breakfast and for snacks throughout the day. My only complaint is that they only make a dozen, so these muffins disappeared pretty quickly!
Husband’s rating: 4 out of 5
Addie’s rating: 4 out of 5
My rating: 4 out of 5
Bakery style chocolate chip muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup buttermilk I added 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Generously grease or a line a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then fold in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the eggs, applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Transfer the egg mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until everything just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your muffin pan, filling each well about ¾ full. If desired, sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center cones out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.