Fresh strawberry donuts that are baked and topped off with a fresh strawberry milk glaze! These are awesome for breakfast or a midday snack!
Has the donut craze officially died down yet? I remember when the cupcake craze began, and then it turned to frozen yogurt, smoothies, donuts, and now poke. While my family and I enjoy eating donuts, I don’t like how it makes me feel afterwards. I don’t like to share so I usually eat one on my own and then feel really heavy afterwards.
These baked donuts are the opposite of that. Since they are baked, not fried, they feel a lot lighter and are actually more cake-like. I mean, anytime you can eat cake for breakfast is a win, right?
I added extra strawberries to my donuts by sprinkling some diced strawberries into the bottom of each donut well. Then I added my donut batter on top. The final donuts were really pretty with those strawberry chunks on top. I opted for a simple strawberry glaze, but you are more than welcome to use a buttercream or even a cream cheese frosting.
Addie and I shared one of these beauties shortly after I glazed them. I could have easily eaten one (or two) on my own but will have to do that when nobody’s looking!
Baked strawberry donuts with strawberry glaze
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberry milk can use regular milk or buttermilk; if using buttermilk, omit the vinegar below
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries finely diced
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoons fresh strawberry milk plus more if needed (can substitute with milk of choice)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease two standard donut pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the milk, vinegar, eggs, butter and vanilla. Transfer this to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until a few dry streaks remain. Fold in the strawberries and mix until everything just comes together.
- Transfer the batter to a zip-top bag or a pastry bag (trust me on this... it will be super messy if you skip this step).
- Pipe the batter into your prepared donut pans, filling each donut mold about 3/4 full.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until the donut springs back after you lightly press on it. Allow the donuts to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the donuts are cooling, make the glaze. Mix the sugar with the milk together until it is smooth and glossy.
- Dunk the top half of the donut into the glaze and turn it right side up and allow it to dry on the cooling rack. Make sure you have a tray underneath to catch any extra glaze. Repeat with the remaining donuts.