These 5 ingredient one-bowl gluten-free coconut flour brownies are a good alternative to regular brownies.
Have you ever baked or cooked with coconut flour? I’m sure my gluten-free friends have tried it at some point. I personally had not used it before but was intrigued. Coconut products seems like all the rage these days, and it was only a matter of time that I tried to bake with coconut flour.
My friends at King Arthur Flour sent me a package of coconut flour to try. I did a bit of research online, and it turns out that coconut flour isn’t an easy substitute for all-purpose flour. Coconut flour absorbs liquid much more easily than its gluten-laden counterpart, so recipes with coconut flour will require a lot more eggs and liquid/moisture in order to be successful. And apparently, there is no substitute for the eggs, so anybody who is dairy-free might bit out of luck on this recipe I’m sharing.
I loved the simplicity of this recipe – I only needed one bowl, one spatula, one liquid measuring cup and one dry measuring cup for these brownies. Plus, there were only 5 ingredients in these (vanilla extract being optional).
I thought that the brownies tasted more like a cake and were just a tad grainy. Granted, I knew that the texture was going to be slightly “off” since I baked with coconut flour, but the flavor wasn’t bad. A gluten-free skating mom tried them at the rink and said that she really liked them. If you want to jazz these up a bit, you can always drizzle them with sauce or eat with ice cream.
5 ingredient one-bowl gluten-free coconut flour brownies
- 1/2 cup minus 1 Tablespoon coconut flour if you have a kitchen scale, measure out 50 grams for a more accurate amount
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Generously grease a standard 8"x8" square baking pan and set aside (I used my silicone baking pan and did not grease it).
- In a large bowl with a rubber spatula, mix all ingredients together until no flour or cocoa streaks remain.
- Transfer to your prepared baking pan and bake in your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the brownies before serving.